Maryland Chapter, American Academy
of Pediatrics Foundation
The Maryland Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics Foundation, a 501 (c)(3) corporation, is a public foundation established exclusively to support charitable, scientific, and literary or education purposes which make a positive contribution to the health, safety, and welfare of children and adolescents.
Our mission is making it possible for every child in Maryland to achieve his/her full potential. To accomplish this, the Maryland Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics Foundation will support activities fostering child health and development.
Please consider making a donation to the Maryland Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics Foundation
To donate online (via PayPal), click on the “Donate” button below.
To send a donation by check, please make your check out to the “MDAAP Foundation” and mail to 1211 Cathedral Street, 3rd Floor, Baltimore, MD 21201.
To charge a donation to a credit card, please complete the Form and mail to 1211 Cathedral Street, 3rd Floor, Baltimore, MD 21201.
Why Reach Out and Read?
Reach Out and Reach gives young children a foundation for success by incorporating books into pediatrics care and encouraging families to read aloud together. At the end of the program, every child has a home-library of books, each given with the advice the parents that they are their child’s first and most important teacher. For more information go to http://reachoutandread.org
Why Early Literacy
- The first 5 years of life are critical for brain development, especially language
- Children who hear few words in early years start school developmentally behind those who have heard more words, and may never catch up
- Pediatricians are in a unique position because we are professionals who see children regularly throughout these early years
- The AAP recognizes early literacy promotion as an essential component of pediatric care
What is Reach Out and Read?
- Occurs at 10 routine examinations from 6 months through 5 years
- Talk with parents about the importance of reading aloud
- Demonstrate how best to look at books and talk about stories at different ages
- Encourage families to cuddle and read together as part of daily routines
- Give a NEW book to take home