Maryland Chapter, American Academy
of Pediatrics Foundation
The Maryland Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics Foundation, a 501 (c)(3) corporation, is a public foundation established exclusively to support charitable, scientific, and literary or education purposes which make a positive contribution to the health, safety, and welfare of children and adolescents.
Our mission is making it possible for every child in Maryland to achieve his/her full potential. To accomplish this, the Maryland Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics Foundation will support activities fostering child health and development.
Please consider making a donation to the Maryland Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics Foundation
To donate online (via PayPal), click on the “Donate” button below.
To send a donation by check, please make your check out to the “MDAAP Foundation” and mail to 1211 Cathedral Street, 3rd Floor, Baltimore, MD 21201.
To charge a donation to a credit card, please complete the Form and mail to 1211 Cathedral Street, 3rd Floor, Baltimore, MD 21201.
As the charitable arm of the Maryland Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics Foundation has decided on the following initiative for the upcoming year
Why Reach Out and Read?
Reach Out and Reach gives young children a foundation for success by incorporating books into pediatrics care and encouraging families to read aloud together. At the end of the program, every child has a home-library of books, each given with the advice the parents that they are their child’s first and most important teacher. For more information go to http://reachoutandread.org
Why Early Literacy
- The first 5 years of life are critical for brain development, especially language
- Children who hear few words in early years start school developmentally behind those who have heard more words, and may never catch up
- Pediatricians are in a unique position because we are professionals who see children regularly throughout these early years
- The AAP recognizes early literacy promotion as an essential component of pediatric care
What is Reach Out and Read?
- Occurs at 10 routine examinations from 6 months through 5 years
- Talk with parents about the importance of reading aloud
- Demonstrate how best to look at books and talk about stories at different ages
- Encourage families to cuddle and read together as part of daily routines
- Give a NEW book to take home