GROW YOUR KIDS: TREE
Talk Read Engage Encourage
“Parenting is a dance and parents can help set the steps – the rhythm- the tune- the song…”
Ken Tellerman M.D.
These materials have been developed by the Maryland Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics. They are designed to help pediatric clinicians promote positive loving connections between parents and their babies.
INTRODUCTION: WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
Adverse childhood experiences can lead to developmental delay, long term health problems, poor school performance and significant behavioral and emotional problems. The “buffering” effect of a positive stable caretaker relationship can help to create resilience and offset the effects of toxic stress particularly in young children ages 0-3 years.
Pediatric practitioners are often the first professionals who interface with parents and infants and are therefore key experts in helping to both promote healthy parent infant attachment and communication and in identifying dysfunctional parent infant dyads before problems escalate.
Yours may be the only professional voice that parents of infants and young children hear!
- Toys for Kids HandOut
- TREE 0-4 MONTHS HandOut
- TREE 4-8 MONTHS HandOut
- TREE 8-12 MONTHS HandOut
- TREE 12-18 MONTHS HandOut
- TREE 18-24 MONTHS HandOut
- TREE 0-4 MONTHS HandOut Spanish
- TREE 4-8 MONTHS HandOut Spanish
- TREE 8-12 MONTHS HandOut Spanish
- TREE 12-18 MONTHS HandOut Spanish
- TREE 18-24 MONTH HandOut Spanish
- Please scroll down for the Thinking Outside the Blocks video
- QR Code for TREE Materials (downloadable)
- QR Code for TREE Materials (PDF)
- Grow Your Kids: TREE Manual
- Getting Started and Basic Principles
- Grow Your Kids: TREE Powerpoint
- Grow Your Kids: TREE Brief Powerpoint
- Grow Your Kids: Cue Cards
- Conveying and Observing Child Development Template
- Parent Infant Observation Template
- Grow Your Kids: TREE References
- Thinking Outside the Blocks Video Link (downloadable)
- Thinking Outside the Blocks Video Link (PDF)
- Grow Your Kids: Cue Cards and Conveying and Observing Child Development Template – Spanish
- Please scroll down for the professional training videos
Emotional Health Committee
American Academy of Pediatrics
TREE MATERIALS DEVELOPED BY:
Chairman, Ken Tellerman M.D.
Margo Candelaria Ph.D.
Laurie Chaikind MSW
Joyce Harrison M.D.
Barbara Howard M.D.
Natalie Spicyn M.D.
Annemiek Wilms-Floet M.D.